Recreational Offshore Landing Permit

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries developed the Recreational Offshore Landing Permit Program to better quantify and characterize the charter and recreational fishermen that fish beyond Louisiana’s territorial waters.

Recreational anglers and charter captains are required to obtain this permit (free of charge) to possess tunas, billfish, swordfish, amberjacks, groupers, snappers, hinds, cobia, wahoo and dolphin. Minors (under 16) are not required to obtain a recreational offshore landing permit.   Angling customers on a paid-for-hire charter trip ALSO do not need a permit. Anglers wishing to obtain or renew a permit must register at . Additional details are also available on that website.

While the Louisiana ROLP is required for each individual angler onboard, a federal Highly Migratory Species (HMS) vessel permit is required if fishing for any federally regulated highly migratory species: Atlantic tunas (bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye, skipjack and albacore) and sharks, swordfish, white and blue marlin, sailfish and spearfish. This is a fee-based permit, anglers can apply and pay for the permit online at or by calling 888-872-8862. There are also some mandatory reporting requirements. For more information, go to:

Get the Permit

To obtain a Recreational Offshore Landing Permit or login, click here (Internet Explorer users above 8.0 may experience problems.  If you experience issues, try an alternate browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox )

Reminder: reporting is no longer required under the ROLP.

Application Guidelines

Please take a moment to read through the Application Guidelines

Get the App


iPhone users: please be sure that you have the latest version of the reporting app installed (Version 1.2).